Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Honors Awards and Vips

One time a dance-critic wrote mockingly about the awards given out during the December season: "what a clatter of siromanis and ... " and I was laughing along because I agreed with what she was saying. Every time you turn around someone is handing someone else an award, a title, or an honour. It is just ridiculous. All those shawls and shields and plaques. What a waste.

I think the funniest part of a dance performance is when the stage is cleared of the performers and big chairs are placed on the stage and the VIPs solemnly clamber on. Some poor emcee or speaker comes on and lavishly praises the first, the second, the third and so on. One time I was at such a "function" at the mini-hall and as soon as the speeches began, I ran out to escape and see if there were any snacks being sold outside. At the end of this function I was helping Master into his car and one of the VIPs accosted me and said: "what did you think of my speech?" and I was caught off-guard. I couldn't very well answer: "I was outside eating samosas". So I said: "everyone thought it was a very fitting tribute". And they continued: "what did you think of my quotes from Shakespeare". And I didn't know what to say so I said: "well, you can't go wrong with Shakespeare".

Someone came up and whispered something into this VIP's ear and they turned upon me indignantly and said: "Arul, it seems you weren't even inside? What's this? It seems you went outside during the speeches?" and I was caught red-handed!

Another time I went to an arangetram for Master's student in 2000, it was at the Russian Cultural Centre. There were two VIPs who were invited. It seems one of the VIPs was circling the area in his car without actually arriving. He was calling on his mobile to find out if the program had started because he didn't want to be seen arriving early.

One time Master and I went to a function called "Muthamizh Peravai" where Meenakshi was getting some title or award. It was in Mylapore and the Rasika Ranjani Sabha: Sivaji Ganesan was there, Karunanidhi was there. It was long and went on forever but the speakers were very good. Sivaji is so charismatic I was just fascinated and entranced by his speech. The last speaker was Karunanidhi - it seems he had released some book or novel - he was a very good speaker. We sat in the back even though Meenakshi's mother came and pulled Master's hand and said: "Sir, you must sit in the front row" but Master would not. He sat in the back.

Apparently, when the real VIPs arrived everyone who was occupying the front row would be unceremoniously kicked back and that could be embarrassing. It was the only function I truly enjoyed and the best speaker of that evening was an unknown lady: not at all charismatic, but her speech was so good. By the end of the evening I had a terrible hunger headache - from missing my supper - and when came back home to Purusawalkam it was almost 10 and I couldn't eat because it was so bad. SP thought I was putting on a drama because whenever he was really annoyed he would just refuse to eat - it was his way of throwing a fit. But I wasn't throwing a fit, sometimes if I am hungry and miss my meal and am late by more than 2 hours the hunger just goes away and instead I just have a huge headache. He kept scolding me and saying: "stop making a fuss and just eat your dosai" but I could not.